Notes I captured during my last visit to Gujarat in May 09.
- Observed - A tightly covered, barely holding under the waist belt and making you look like 6 month pregnant – well pot belly is definitely not an ornament to be proud of. Some find a nice excuse saying its sign of prosperity. LOL…If having 2 distinct tiers around your inflated stomach is sign of prosperity, then I am happy with zero prosperity in my life!
- Observed during recent marriage ceremony – Now there is clear difference between “wrapping up good clothes around your body” and “dressing up”. Just like good ingredients do not guarantee great taste, good fabric does not guarantee great looks.
- Relatives are lot more unpredictable and complex then the most complex project you have done :)
- Way to go Modi! Highways in Gujarat are awesome! I remember way back in 1995, we had 2 lane roads from Rajkot to Ahmedabad and had frequent accidents on the road. Now I saw highways reaching to the towns and villages and that too in excellent condition! As smooth as cheeks of your favorite bollywood actress :)
- A decade after leaving a place, it’s so nostalgic and thrilling to see the same place where you had studied! While going from Surat to Rajkot, I passed through Nadiad and I could sense strong rush of adrenalin through my veins! Heartbeat became faster and within moments, I did time travel! I went back by a decade...WOW! The same college building where I spent four years to be an engineer, the same collage loan where we used to sit to write journals, the same canal where we used to go to spend peaceful hour by bunking a class :), same cafeteria where we had umpteen tea every day, very same roads where we used to walk, the shops, buildings, fountain and everything!
- Paras theatre at Nadiad - the theatre which is the closest to the area where students live. During engineering, we used to go every now and then to kill evenings as there was no other entertainment except playing cricket in evening. We used to get all latest Hindi and English movies there. I saw the same theatre. It’s still in same pathetic condition :) But looks like either students have found another theatre or their preference has changed as now this theatre shows porn movies rather than latest Hindi or English movies!
- Mango pulp and sugarcane juice are two god gifted heavens during peak summer. Nothing beats yummy mango pulp during lunch and sweet, cold sugarcane juice at the night! I had both the heavens when I went home this summer :)
- Airport and state transportation buses are two extremes you find in India. In terms of cost, facilities, service and people. If you happen to use both the modes in a short span, it’s an opportunity to see two ends of a spectrum called modern India.
- Most of the travelers are consciously snobbish and serious at the Indian airports. It feels as if a smile is also charged at the airport! I find it little uncomfortable when I am surrounded by snobbish creatures. GRRRRR… I prefer to pick up a book and kill the time at the airport while occasionally looking around to see if I can find a human who can smile. Except few occasions, it’s always been a futile effort.
© All rights reserved with Mihir Rawal. To re-print or re-use, prior permission is required from the author.